Workers’ Compensation Lawyer San Diego, CA

Robert A. McLaughlin, APC Helps Union Members

San Diego labor law attorney who gets results

Many California workers are represented by labor unions. You may belong to the California Teachers Association. Perhaps you're a member of the California Association of Highway Patrolmen. If you work at the General Dynamics NASSCO shipyard, you may belong to the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers.

"Can a union worker apply for workers' compensation benefits?"

Would you qualify for benefits if you're part of a union and injured at work? Yes. There are thousands of workers in the San Diego area who belong to unions. Labor unions have done a lot over the years to increase the safety of their members on the job. However, accidents can still happen.

And if an accident leaves a union member injured and unable to work for a time, he or she can apply for workers' compensation benefits.

Robert A. McLaughlin, APC has proudly represented many union members in their workers' compensation claims. They are strong advocates for clients, helping them get the medical care they need and the financial compensation they are entitled to receive.

"What are the rights of union workers who get hurt on the job?"

Union members actually have more rights than employees who are not in a union. Non-union members are employed "at-will." This means that as long as an employer follows state and federal laws, a non-union worker can be terminated at their discretion.

But union workers are protected by a collective bargaining agreement between the union and the employer. This agreement usually addresses procedures that must be followed when a union member is hurt on the job. This includes what happens to the member's job if he or she is unable to work for a short period of time. It may have a provision for modified duties when an employee returns to work.

Robert A. McLaughlin, APC knows that unions can be valuable partners in workers' compensation claims. Union representatives typically have access to safety records and documentation of complaints and OSHA violations. These can be valuable evidence if an employer disputes a workers' compensation claim.

"I'm a union member-how can you help me with my claim?"

Once you report your injury to your employer, we can handle everything after that. We will work with your union to ensure your rights are protected and that you receive all the benefits you are entitled to get.

Employers and administrators are interested in keeping costs low for your claim. Our top priority is making sure all of your medical and financial needs are met. If your claim is denied, or if you are denied certain benefits, we will fight the decision. If necessary, we will help you get a secondary opinion of your injury from a doctor who is unbiased.

If a third party's negligence was responsible for your injury, you may be able to seek additional damages. We will work with your union to get documentation of what happened.

Together with your union representative, we will work tirelessly until we reach a successful resolution of your claim. If you're a union member who has been injured in a workplace accident, contact us today for a free case review. Our knowledge and experience in workers' compensation law can help you get the resources you need while you recover.