Robert A. McLaughlin
San Diego workers' compensation lawyer
Attorney Robert A. McLaughlin has worked in workers' compensation and civil litigation as both a defense counsel, plaintiff's counsel and as an applicant and claimant's attorney. He has tried hundreds of workers compensation cases and civil cases.
In addition to California workers' compensation, Robert A. McLaughlin also practices in the area of the Longshore Act, Defense Base Act, Non-Appropriated Funds Act, SSDI claims, personal injury, employment law and wage and hour law.
Attorney McLaughlin primarily practices in San Diego and Imperial counties, but accepts selective cases throughout all of Southern California. If you've been injured in a workplace accident, contact us for a free case review.
"What is the background of Attorney Robert A. McLaughlin?"
Robert A. McLaughlin is a 1984 graduate of Boston University, where he majored in economics. He went on to earn a Master's Degree in Economics at Claremont Graduate School in 1986. He graduated from the University of San Diego School of Law in 1990. That same year he was admitted to the California State Bar. He is also a member of the San Diego County Bar Association.
Attorney McLaughlin is the former President of the California Applicants’ Attorneys Association, which has 20 chapters statewide. Previously, he served on the CAAA’s Executive Board in the role of Secretary. Since 1966, CAAA has fought for injured workers' rights and today is considered the most powerful and knowledgeable legal voice for California's injured workers. Attorney McLaughlin is a past President of the San Diego County Chapter of CAAA.
He is also a frequent speaker on workers' compensation issues and has been a panelist and speaker at several conventions and seminars hosted by defense, applicant and third-party organizations. He is a frequent speaker at CAAA conventions and seminars. His paper on HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), the Privacy Rule and the Longshore Act was published in the Loyola Maritime Law Journal in November 2013.
Awards, Associations and Merits:
- 2018 – President – California Applicants’ Attorneys Association
- 2017 Workers’ Compensation Applicants’ Attorney of the Year Award
- Workers Injury Law & Advocacy Group (WILG) Board Member
- 2017 California Applicants’ Attorneys Association (CAAA) President-Elect
- 2004 – Present – Member of California Applicants’ Attorneys Association (CAAA)
- 2009 - Present - Member of Workers' Injury Law & Advocacy Group (WILG)
- 9/2011 - 9/2013 - President San Diego Chapter of CAAA.
- 11/2012 - Panelist at Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) on California Workers' Compensation on the topic of preparing a case for trial.
- 1/2013 - Moderator and panelist at the CAAA Winter Convention in San Diego on the topic of "Treatment Disputes" in California workers compensation.
- 4/2013 - Presenter at the 2013 Loyola Annual Longshore Conference presenting a paper HIPAA, The Privacy Act and The Longshore Act and the implications of the HIPAA Privacy Rule on practices under the Longshore Act especially with respect to the use of Nurse Case Managers.
- 4/2013 - Presenter at Laughlin, Falbo, Levy & Moresi in San Diego for their in-house legal education classes.
- 6/2013 - Panelist at the CAAA Summer Convention in Las Vegas on the topic of "Utilization Review of Medical Treatment" in California workers compensation.
- 9/2013 - HIPAA, The Privacy Rule and The Longshore Act is accepted by the Loyola Maritime Law Journal for publication in November, 2013.
- 10/2013 - WILG Presenter at the Longshore Section on HIPAA, Nurse Case Managers and Longshore.
- 11/2013 - Panelist at Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) on California Workers' Compensation on the topic of preparing a case for trial.
- 12/2013 - Present - Member of the Interfaith Center for Worker Justice of San Diego County.
- 1/2014 - Present - Co-Chair of the CAAA Regulations Committee.
- 6/2014 - Moderator and panelist at the CAAA Summer Convention in Reno on the topic of "Regulations Update" in California workers compensation.
- 1/2015 - Mr. McLaughlin's case in the matter of Christensen v. Ill. Tool Works, 2014 Cal. Work. Comp. P.D. Lexis 490 (designated a Noteworthy Panel Decision) noted as a Most Important Case at the 2015 CAAA Winter Convention in San Diego at the Marvin Shapiro Memorial: Most Important Cases.
- 5/2015 - Panelist on KABC Radio in Los Angeles on the topic of "The Demolition of Workers' Compensation" as presented on the radio show "Gurvey's Law" along with the Hon. John Gutierrez (retired) and Jason Marcus, Esq.
- 6/2015 - Panelist at the CAAA Summer Convention in Las Vegas on the topic of "AMA Guides Jeopardy"
- 6/2015 - Elected to the executive board as Secretary of the CAAA.
- 11/2015 - Presenter at the WorkCompCentral seminar on "Advanced Rating: Become an Expert" on the topic of "AMA Guides: Lesser Known Facts."
- 9/2016 - Elected to the executive board as Treasurer of the CAAA.